For business leaders in Salesforce’s Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Partners program, cybersecurity isn’t just a technical issue—it’s a business imperative. Security and privacy of client data should be as habitual as your daily coffee. But how can you ensure you’re meeting the standards?
Enter SOC 2, a framework for managing customer data based on five trust service principles: security, availability, processing integrity, confidentiality, and privacy.
According to a Cybersecurity Insiders report, 43% of data breaches* involve internal actors, including employees, contractors, and third-party suppliers. This challenge highlights the need for comprehensive internal controls like SOC 2.
* Source: 30 crucial cybersecurity statistics : data, trends and more. Zippia, June 15, 2023.
What is SOC 2, and why is everyone talking about it?
System and Organization Controls 2 (SOC 2) is an auditing procedure—developed by the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA)—that helps service providers securely manage customer data. Organizations can effectively protect their customer’s interests and privacy by following the framework principles or criteria.
The SOC 2 criteria relate to:
- Security: Ensure the system is protected against unauthorized access.
- Availability: Confirm the system is operational and available as agreed upon.
- Processing Integrity: Guarantee that the system processes are functioning as intended.
- Confidentiality: Make sure data access and disclosure is restricted to a specified set of individuals or organizations.
- Privacy: Manage personal information according to privacy policies, regulations, and AICPA’s criteria.
For Salesforce ISV Partners, SOC 2 serves as a structured guide to evaluate and ensure robust cybersecurity practices.
Why SOC 2 certification matters for Salesforce ISV Partners?
Salesforce ISV Partners often have access to critical and sensitive customer data, amplifying the importance of a trusted security framework. Moreover, SOC 2 provides many competitive advantages:
- Builds Trust: Clients want assurance that their data is secure.
- Legal and Regulatory Compliance: SOC 2 aligns with GDPR, CCPA, and other privacy laws and regulations in North America and around the world.
- Business Continuity: Robust security protocols minimize the risks of costly interruptions.
- Facilitates Business Transactions: Many B2B customers demand SOC 2 compliance before entering contracts.
Recent industry research by Gartner indicates that a majority of businesses now require SOC 2 compliance for cloud services, a factor that Salesforce ISV Partners cannot afford to overlook.
Preparing the journey ahead: a roadmap for SOC 2
For those in the phase of searching why and how to implement SOC 2, here’s a simplified roadmap you can use:
- Scope Assessment: Identify what data, systems, and processes fall under SOC 2.
- Gap Analysis: Compare current controls against SOC 2 requirements.
- Implement Controls: Establish new security measures to fill gaps.
- Third-party Audit: Engage a third party to verify compliance.
- Ongoing Monitoring: Keep regular tabs on security controls.
As part of your security and compliance journey, having the right tools and policies in place is vital. A PSA (Professional Services Automation) solution like Klient PSA can simplify the compliance process, offering companies working on Salesforce built-in controls that align with SOC 2 standards. But more on that later.
Implementing SOC 2 for Salesforce ISV Partners isn’t a mere check-box exercise, it’s a long-term commitment to your customers, and a pledge to uphold the highest data security and privacy standards in your industry. Furthermore, by understanding what SOC 2 entails and why it’s critical, you set the foundation for an unbreakable bond of trust between your customers and your business.
Read more from this collection
Klient is now SOC 2 Type 2 certified, meaning even higher levels of security and trust for our customers. Try for free our SOC 2 framework for Salesforce ISVs.